Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fluffy buns

When Charlie was about two months old, we transitioned him from disposable to cloth diapers.  It took a little getting use to, but I've become a fan of the "fluff".  I use all-in-ones, which are almost exactly like disposables except made out of cloth, and I also have pocket diapers, which are similar to the aios except that they have a pocket that gets stuffed (doh!) with layers of cloth.  It was a little expensive to start off with, but I've been able to build my stash up by buying a couple sets new (Grovia and Charlie Banana, in case anyone was wondering) and one set used (BumGenius).  I now have enough diapers that I only do diaper laundry twice a week, Sunday and Wednesday.  In the long run cloth diaper will save us quite a bit, especially when we have more kids, and it's also better for Charlie and the environment.  Oh, and he looks pretty cute wearing them. :)


Our one struggle has been at night time.  Charlie's a pretty heavy wetter and now that he rolls over to his stomach to sleep he's been waking up in the middle of the night completely soaked through.  I've tried adding extra layers to his diaper, but so far it hasn't helped too much.  I talked to my (fellow cloth diapering) sister-in-law and she mentioned wool pants as a solution.  Wool soaks up a lot more liquid than cotton jammies, and only gets more felted and waterproof with washing.  We talked about knitting some, and I found several cute knitting patterns, and then I stumbled upon this Pinterest tutorial for making them using the sleeves of a wool sweater.  I had been hanging on to a wool sweater of Phil's that I accidentally washed and dried, so I decided to give it a shot. I whipped these little guys up in a about 20 minutes:


We're going on our third night of using them and so far so good! They seem to be keeping him dry (and warm, which is nice in chilly PG!).  I still have the entire body of the sweater, so I think I'm going to use that to make some more pants.  It will be a little more work then just using the arms, but having a couple pairs of pants to cycle through will be great!! 


We layer him to keep him warm... he looks ridiculous and adorable all at once! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment